Friday, July 31, 2009

Magazine inspiration: Shells!


I was flipping through a recent Instyle magazine and these caught my eye.


They are made & sold through the Melissa Joy Manning webpage - though I can't find them there at all. Maybe they were special order made? No clue.


ME upon seeing earring: "adorable, I can make that. Easy, peasy"
sure....
I tried and below is the pair I made. It was actually a lot more difficult than it seemed. This is one of those projects that is super easy and quick for those that already know how to do it, but figuring it out on my own took a while (well over an hour of arguing with shells). The tough part was getting three shells to line up properly. It's a good thing that I didn't want the earrings to be larger because that work would've tested my patience!


This is my strand of shells before de-construction.

(that photo turned out horrible here, but I swear it looked okay when I viewed it)









After a lot of time, some colorful language, and changing materials (wire to embroidery string) - the earrings were complete









I now have a fun pair of summer earrings. It's a shame that it's August and summer will be ending, but I'm in Houston (hot until November) and I have a feeling that they will reappear next summer too!


PS: I've never heard of Melissa Joy Manning until that article and I have to admit that they have interesting stuff on their site. It's not cheap, but it's definitely interesting.


-b-





No comments:

Post a Comment