Friday, July 17, 2009

Crazy Cat Lady: History & Jewelry

I never even had a choice - I was born to be a cat lady.

My grandmother bred and showed siamese cats for decades. My sister and I used to work at the shows when we were kids. We'd go around and clean all the holding cages between judging rounds. A lot of the cats would get upset/stressed, and um, spray. But we didn't mind because they paid us a whole $10/day and we got to pet the nice ones!!! We were very cheap and enthusiatic labor.


My mom breeds siamese, but not for show. When I was young she bred apple-headed siamese. Now she breeds a cross between traditional siamese and apple-heads.


She is a crazy cat lady....as in she likes to wear kitty themed jewelery. I've been making necklaces, earrings, bracelets for a year or so now and she really wanted me to make her something with kitties. So she bought about 16 glass cat charms. She doesn't want to keep all to herself, she wants to give these trinkets to folks that take one of kitties home.


I accepted the challenge of multiple kitty-themed pieces and below are a portion of the results:
























In all, I think I've made about 10 different items because some of the glass kittties were broke when my mom mailed them to me and things like earrings take up two cat heads. I'm mailing the completed project back to her this weekend and I'm going to bubble wrap them up.

Here is my cat, Borris aka bobo, demanding attention during all the mayhem.



I like to think that he appreciated my first 'collection' of jewelry.
-b-

No comments:

Post a Comment