Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tie-Dye

I've been digging on the Tie-Dye trend BIG TIME this summer. It's fun to make and seriously fun to wear. I was happy in the winter when I saw magazines proclaiming a come back, although I think I would've worn it anyways.

I recently had girlfriends over for a super fun ultra girly "Tie-Dye and Twilight" night. We tie-dyed and as our stuff was chilling in dye baths, we watched Twilight. This was pretty much like a sleepover (girl talk, food, crafts, boys, icecream, giggling) - without the sleepover part.
Here is what we did:




Got everything wet with the hose












We rubber-banded in all sorts of different designs and plunked it into a color.













Then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed everything.







Here are some of the results:




My new favorite Tshirt! It's already heavy into my weekly rotation.



















I found nice plain cotton bags at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $3 and dyed them all sorts of colors. I think I have at least 6 or 7 of them. Unfortunatly, I only photographed the blue one. go figure. Again, these are in heavy rotation for trips to the pool, library, and think I'll try grocery next week.






A little tough to tell, but that is a pink shirt that I dyed. I wore it to work and tempered it down with a rather boring cardigan. But, it's proof that tie-dye and work can go together.


I used Dylon brand dye that I bought at Walmart, but I've also seen in at Joannes. Not too expensive, I think both stores were selling it for 2-3 dollars. So far, none of my stuff has faded or got onto other clothing in the wash.


I didn't photograph it, but I also overdyed a denim skirt the pink color. It came out really well, it started as a dark denim, so now it has a tint/sheen of pink.

This has proved to be a super fun way to enliven clothing I already have but am bored of. Try it out and have fun.


-b-

2 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE it! I feel a DIY Tie-dye session upon me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have overdyed a lot of things but have never tie-dyed anything. After seeing this I MUST!

    ReplyDelete