Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Training starts um, NOW! What are you doing, MOVE IT sister!

Last year was the first time that I ran a half-marathon and I loved the experience. The running was a little tough, but it was such a cheerful and positve day that I immediatly signed up for January 2010's run. Here is me last January with a post-run glow

Based on a recommendation from a super fit pal of mine that has run multiple full marathons, I use John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals as my training guide.

For the 1/2 marathon, I have a 14 week training schedule that I've stretched out over 17 weeks. I have duplicate weeks to make up for things like traveling to see pals, Thanksgiving, and Christmas b/c I'm honest and know that my tush wants to eat/drink on those occasions and I probably won't complete all training.


This week is supposed to be my first week, so I set up the schedule this morning. Here is what it looks like for end of Sept/October:



Click to enlarge. I put checks or the little cross out circle afterwards to mark whether or not I accomplished my daily goal.


It's a little goofy this year and I've made some big changes to the schedule in the book to fit in soccer. Last year I was on one team and it was in a lower division. This fall I'm playing on two teams (one coed and one womens). In addition, I moved up a couple divisions and the games are a lot faster and tougher.


I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this will work out for me. If I start feeling too tired or worn after the first couple of weeks, I'll have to modify.


In the meantime, I'm going to try to add the Daily Mile widget to my blog (ala FIT THIS, girl)
Maybe I'll get that together this afternoon/evening!
later
-b-

4 comments:

  1. go you! I will sit on the side and take your picture ok? Please don't ask me to join you or I might have a heartattack. hee. No seriously this is awesome and you should be proud of yourself. I have just resigned myself that not everyone is meant to run (me, I tried. It ended BADLY)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha..That'll work. I can see why running/jogging isn't for everyone. It can be a little rough on the joints and sometimes it's tough to make yourself think positive thoughts while jogging. (I mean you're running and no one is chasing you, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a heart murmur and I am always CONVINCED I will drop dead of a heartattack although I know I won't. I get panic-y. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so first off...I LOVE the denim leggings and if I can find somethis season (on the cheap) I am sold!! And second, SO excited about the RACE!! I have my first half on Halloween 09 and am pumped but behind (2 weeks) in my 12 week schedule. So all that fun and I get to the bottom to see you gave me a shout out!! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete