Friday, September 18, 2009

Skates

Last night I was really fighting myself about working out. I didn't want to at all, but at the same time I've been making a concerted effort to get more active the last couple of weeks and I didn't want to let myself down. I pulled out my old-skool skates and figured that I could at least have some fun!


And what fun it was. I had a blast tooling around my neighborhood. I'm not very good and there is a lot of flailing around. In addition, the wheels are old and worn and my skates pull me in different directions than my feet are pointing.

But harrowing can be fun too!

And it was a good workout. Roller Skating Assocation International tells me that I probably burned a couple hundred calories in the time that I skated. And my bum muscles are sore, which means that they were utilized. sweet.


I need to get some new wheels, but don't have the foggiest clue where to start on that one. I did a quick search online and found a bunch. But, i think i'm going to venture into the skateboard/surfing shop by my house this weekend. I expect the store to be kooky - it's been around since the 60s and the same people own a popcorn & candy store next door. I went in to buy some popcorn once and the dude was all kinds of spaced out and goofy. I'm not sure what to expect from the actual main store.

maybe I can get a different color? My wheels are red, but doesn't purple sound fun?
here are some photos of my cat interupting the session...it was SUPER hard to find a good spot, set the timer, skate into position, and not hurt myself or a cat in the process. Under the circumstances, I guess the photos came out okay..
There are whiskers in this one.

Cat butt in this one.

She practically dared me to roll over her on my way to this one.

-b-

3 comments:

  1. I love it!! I skated 3 seasons for the Minnesota Rollergirls, it is SUCH a good workout and so fun. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary: Rollergirls? That is awesome! Shat can you tell me about buying new wheels? Did you ever replace yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are rollerskating!

    ReplyDelete