Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unique Hobbies...

I like it when people have 'different' hobbies. You know, when they say thier interests are something other than watching movies and reading. I mean, most of us do that.




I have a girlfriend that fits this, she does figure competitions. She doesn't do the bikini modeling and she's not a bodybuilder either - she is something in between. At first this seems like a really 'out there' hobby. It requires buttloads of determination and discipline. She follows a strict diet and workout schedule, but the results are pretty incredible.



She recently participated in a competition in Austin and did really well. This was my second time to cheer her on at a show and what strikes me most is how GIRLY the women are. For real. She gets all dolled up with makeup, hair, jewelry, nails, tans, stripper shoes, etc......It's like a beauty pageant with muscle.




















She borrowed some super sparkly swarovski jewelry for her competition and I'm determined to make her some items of her own. I've spent the last two days with rather expensive but super sparkly beads.













I also did a necklace and ring, but kinda hated the ring (I haven't quite got that technique yet) and the necklace was just not quite right. I'll probably take those apart tonight and start fresh.





Anyone else with unique hobbies? I've seen that Erin does hula hooping and admit to jealously.That looks like a fun one.



Not sure that I do anything too unique. Among my own friends, I'm unique in that I still play on soccer teams and go to tournements as an adult.






















I guess there's that. We still take team photos like we're kids too!



-b-

5 comments:

  1. hrm. Dave used to blow glass and archery (now with full time school and full time work he does well just that.

    me.... I like cats is that a hobby? I sell Avon or FUN (cause I lose money on it monthly) I make jewelry (not unique though?) I knit, crochet, blog yeah nothing unique there either.

    OHOH wardrobe remix. Now I know it seems normal to me because all my friends do it (whom I met through there) but when others find out I do it they look at me like I have 4 heads. I have 447 unique outfits posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archery & glass blowing sound like cool hobbies.

    I think jewelry counts. I'd say it's a big hobby of mine...and it's unique outside of the circle of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work with a girl who used to do those fitness competitions. The week before a show she'd do crazy stuff like eat nothing but hard boiled eggs. She has an awesome body though, even now after having 2 kids!

    I play the clarinet in a concert band, that seems to impress people. I started in 4th grade and just never stopped...

    @hillary, I pretty much break even on Avon myself... I'm a terrible salesperson :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few weird hobbies: I play D&D, I paint miniatures, I dragon boat, play Ultimate and I race-walk (I did a marathon!).

    I like your blog a lot, BAM! Thanks so much for commenting on mine. :)

    Cheers,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should've said this days ago, but dragon boat stuff looks WAY fun! I bet your shoulders and back are in great shape too.

    ReplyDelete