Friday, November 20, 2009

ribbon + bead = new necklace!

I’m starting to really like all the different ribbon-y necklaces and bracelets that I’m seeing in stores and magazines. After going through a Harpers Bazaar at the YMCA this week, I decided to try making my own.

This is my first stab:



This black ricrac ribbon was purchased with the intent of decorating Halloween pumpkins, but never got used. I think it worked pretty well with the white plastic beads. I bought those a while ago, but couldn’t think of what to do with them without them looking cheap.

I basically sewed the beads to the ribbon and added a chain – not too hard at all! The only difficult part was sewing the bead in at a good point, if it was too tight or too loose, then the ribbon didn’t lay right across the bead and that is what I was going for with the ricrac.

I didn't follow any instructions to this, but if you're a visual person - I stumbled accross a blog with instructions - Samster Mommy. She has some instructions here for a similar necklace.

Check out this beaded necklace (also with instructions).

Now you know what to do with that ribbon! Get to it!
-b-

3 comments:

  1. Omgosh I LOVE yours! It's so mod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I did another necklace this past weekend and really like the combination. Plus, its a great way to use inexpensive beads in a fun (not cheap looking) way.

    I'll probably try the other one you made in a week or so...that looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the cream necklace with the black ribbon. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete