Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Where I lack motivation & am whiny

Remember when I mentioned the Houston ½ marathon . Yeah, well now it’s a month away and I gotta be honest – I am seriously lacking motivation. This fall I was pretty good about jogging or working out in some fashion, but December just doesn’t want to join the fun. Seriously, December has just been one month of me being a big ole sick lump.

I think my downfall came when we took a trip for Thanksgiving. We were out of town for a week and traveled to a place where jogging wasn’t really a possibility (really, it does exist). When I got back home I was off my schedule and had to force myself to return to the YMCA.

Then I got a sinus infection. That’s not fun while jogging or using gym equipment, so I took a break.

I ran a 10k with my sister after that cleared. Slowly, but I did it. If you click the photo you might see that my face is BRIGHT RED. During the run I swore that I’d jump back in. I should mention here that my sister kicked my butt (not that it was a competition, but still). She busted out a 8.5 minute mile. I was slugging along at 10.5min miles.

Then a day later I was crippled with a virus from my sister’s kids. I’m officially blaming my slow jog on the virus starting to form. Again, not fun while jogging or using gym equipment, so a break was in order.

Right now? The virus is still lingering and I seem to be having girly problems, and lastly, am so off a workout schedule that I just plain don’t want to. Three strikes.

I’m drawing from the reserves tonight after work and forcing a workout. I gotta get back into things.

A sweet girlfriend of mine sent me1/2 marathon-type gifts (a 13.1 bumper sticker and ID bracelet). I figure that I can’t put the sticker on my car unless I actually make it to January 17th!

Is that enough motivation? Not really.

Pride as motivation? More likely. I talked up this ½ marathon. I don’t want to struggle through it, and then have to tell people that I had a hard time and no fun. The point is to have fun and that requires training your body.
AND I have one of those cutesy jogging skirts that I can wear during the run - it’s not as cute if I’m struggling.

Pride. That'll do.

1 comment: