Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No slouching missy!

We were in San Antonio last weekend for a wedding and while looking at the photos realized that how you stand makes a HUGE difference in how things look. (reminds me of the post by Sal about Side Views)

Here I am at the Alamo standing straight

yeah for dorky tourists!


Me starring as Miss Slouch-a-Lot earlier in the evening. Ick.

Why did I hunch over? I looks awkward, like my head is not completely attached to my neck and pouches my tummy out.

Despite my slouching, this was a great outfit and I felt really confidently dressed in it. I took a couple photos when I was trying to decide what to wear (how very Cher of me), and this is a fuzzy pic of the dress so that you see how it fits. It is kind of a magical dress that fits me just right. Usually this style of dress does nothing for me except make me look like a rectangle, but this has stretch in just the right places and is cut just for me.

The outfit was made up of a bunch of steals over the course of a couple years:
Nine West Shoes from Ross/marshalls/something like that.
Black dress from Express (via thrifting a million years ago)
Black cashmere cardigan from Theory (via goodwill)
SPARKLY buttons: Thanks Joanne Fabrics!

Seriously, I think this cost me less than $30. Proof, you don’t need money to look classy – you just need to stand up straight!

-b-

3 comments:

  1. love your shoes + dress in the first pic...I know some people don't like to be too matchy about things like that but I think it looks awesome on you there!

    Also - I saw some pics of myself the other day and my shoulders were all the way forward in slouchy town. I was so surprised and appalled at myself! I need posture help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, now I see that it is a SCARF and shoes, not a dress. I'm dumb. But I still like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yep, it's a scarf. I didn't plan on having the matching bits, but it worked out so well. There was a matchy blue necklace too! I don't totally love the idea of wearing black to a wedding so this was my way of adding in color to look festive and not bleak.

    ReplyDelete